Tandoori chicken is one of the most popular dishes at many Indian restaurants and a favorite among most people , young and old . This was one dish I always wanted to learn to make at home .Although the traditional restaurant style uses the clay oven called ‘tandoor’ for making this dish, the regular oven can also be used and it is in fact quite simple . After a couple of trial and errors , I came up with this recipe that worked out for me and am pretty sure will workout for anyone .I used Shaan’s tandoori masala (available at any Indian groceries ) for this recipe and added a little spices of my own .The trick to getting this recipe right is to marinate the chicken for about 8 to 10 hours .The longer it sits in the marinade, the tastier it will turn out! You can reduce the quantity of Tandoori masala used for a mild and less spicier version. Salt is optional as the masala itself has strong spices and salt in it already! However you can add a hint of salt if you like . Read on for the ingredients used and the method of preparation in detail .
A delicious appetizer or main course based on Indian cuisine and perfect with rice or naan bread.
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 packet Tandoori Masala (Shaan brand)
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 5 tbsp plain low fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilly powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 big lemon (juice squeezed)
- 1/4 tsp salt ( optional)
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- raw onions and lemon for garnish
- Make a paste of all ingredients mentioned in the ‘for paste’ section.
- Wash the chicken and make few slits half way.
- Apply marinade all over the chicken and arrange it in a baking tray.
- Cover baking tray with a aluminum foil and refrigerate for about 8 to 10 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 470 deg F.
- Spray oil on the chicken.
- Cover the baking tray with foil on and with tiny holes pricked on the sheet with a fork.
- Bake for about 20 minutes on the top rack.
- Turn over the chicken and drain any excess water that is released while baking.
- Now remove the foil and bake open for another 20 minutes
- Drain any excess water if any , while baking.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on the chicken and spray oil .
- Return chicken with the baking tray into the oven.
- Set on broil for 5 to 7 minutes or until the chicken is browned.
- Garnish with raw onions and lemon.
- Tandoori chicken is ready , serve with chutney , yogurt , bread (naan) or rice, Enjoy!