Today’s recipe is a delicacy made during festivals . Since Diwali (Festival of lights) celebrated by Indians is almost around the corner , sweet and savory snack preparations are in full swing in homes of most people who celebrate it. I usually resorted to buying sweets from stores (you do get a good variety here in the US) all these years due to the lack of time , job and busy life . Being on a break this time , I ventured to make ‘Karanji’ or ‘karchikai’ or ‘gujiya’ (it goes by various names) usually made during festivals. This deep fried delicacy has a covering made of all purpose flour and the filling is a mixture of roasted desiccated coconut, dry nuts, raisins , white sesame seeds and sugar . The crisp outer covering with the lightly sweetened taste of all the goodness inside tastes heavenly and out of the world. Although it looks a bit tedious to make ,it is worth all the effort and loved by kids and adults alike! Happy cooking :).On the auspicious festival of lights, may the glow of joy, prosperity and happiness illuminate your days in the year ahead! Happy Diwali !!
Karanji - Diwali Special
A deep-fried delicacy prepared on festive occasions made with all purpose floor, dry nuts, raisins and dessicated coconut
Some prefer to use jaggery or brown sugar instead of white sugar for the filling and it is absolutely one’s preference. Also, instead of using all purpose flour alone a combination of wheat and all purpose flour in the ratio 1:1 is sometimes preferred. Another variation in the dough preparation is to replace ghee and milk with oil and water respectively.
For outer covering
- 2 cups All purpose flour
2 tbsp semolina
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) warmed up
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk to knead
1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 tsbsp ghee (clarified butter)
almonds , cashew, pista, raisins – 10 nos each
- 3-4 tsp sugar or as desired
- 4 -5 cardamoms
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds
- Mix all the ingredients for the outer covering in a bowl .
- Knead the ingredients with portions of milk so that you get a stiff dough.
- In a pan , heat 2 tsp ghee and fry the coconut till slightly browned.
- Keep it aside and let it cool.
- Next heat up the sesame seeds in the ghee till it crackles.
- Powder the nuts, raisins ,sugar and cardamom.
- Mix the coconut, sesame and powdered dry nuts well,
- Take a small ball of the dough and roll into small circles.
- Add a spoon of the filling and seal with your finger by pinching the edges.
- You can also add a drop of milk so that it is sealed well.
- Heat a pan of oil and deep fry the karanjis until they are golden brown.
- Karanjis are now ready to be served. Enjoy!