Aviyal is a dish very popular in my hometown and is made with mixed vegetables in coconut and yogurt gravy. The vegetables that are usually added to the dish are drumstick, raw bananas, yam, white melon, pumpkin, carrot and beans.This dish is also served as part of the sadya (banquet) during festivals and occasions.It has a unique taste and is also very healthy.
- 4 cups of mixed vegetables cut length wise (carrots, beans, drumstick,white melon,pumpkin,yam)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 cups yogurt
2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- curry leaves
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Boil the vegetables with turmeric and salt in just about little water.
- Grind coconut, yogurt and cumin to a coarse paste.
- Add the ground paste to the cooked vegetables and simmer for a while.
- Add salt to taste , curry leaves and add a few drops of oil.
- Aviyal is ready to be served and can be eaten with rice or rotis. Happy Cooking, Enjoy !