‘Parippu payasam’ also called as ‘Dal payasam’ or ‘sharkara pradhaman’ is a very delicious dessert made during festivals and is served as part of the sadya. This is made using yellow split mung beans, jaggery (molasses) and coconut milk . The highlight of the dish is the coconut milk that is used, and it is best to use the coconut milk extracted using the fresh or frozen grated coconut .Using the canned coconut milk will not give the authentic taste. It also has to be extracted three times to get different consistencies of the coconut milk ,which is used in the various stages of the dish preparation.
Parippu payasam-Traditional dessert
A traditional and delicious dessert made with split moong beans, jaggery and coconut milk usually made on festivals and goes well with traditional sadya.
Its preferable to use darker jaggery to get a nice dark brown color.
- 2 cups of split yellow moong dal
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 2 cups jaggery
- 3/4 cups of coconut bits
- 10-12 cashews
- 10-12 raisins
- 5-6 cardamoms
To extract the coconut milk
- Take 2 cups of grated coconut and 1 cup of warm water and blend it in a blender
- Strain the contents in a strainer and the extract called the first milk can be strained into a bowl which is quite thick.
- Next take the coconut from the strainer add a cup water and blend again.
- Strain the contents again and extract the second milk into another bowl which is little thinner than the first milk.
- Repeat this process and extract the third milk into another bowl, this is the most diluted milk compared to the other two extractions.
- Keep all of it aside and ready before the dish preparation.
- Dry roast the split yellow moong dal beans in a pan till you get a nice brown color.
- Once roasted , cook it with a cup of water and the third coconut milk extracted either in a pressure cooker or in a deep bottomed vessel.
- When it is half cooked ,add jaggery with a pinch of salt.
- Next add the second coconut milk extracted.
- Cook for about 10 -15 minutes till it is almost well cooked.
- Next add the powdered cardamom seeds.
- Finally add the first extracted coconut milk which is thick and creamy.
- Heat for another 2 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Take 2 – 3 tsp ghee and fry the coconut pieces, cashews and raisins
- Add it to the payasam
- Parippu payasam is ready to be served. Enjoy 🙂