Shrimp and drumstick in coconut gravy or curry is a very delicious dish from northern Kerala or Malabar in India .The variations to this curry is substituting drumstick with green mangoes or snake gourd . Vegetarians can even omit the shrimp and just make it with the drumstick and it tastes great! Drumstick may not be available year round but frozen ones are readily available in any Indian grocery store.It is loaded with nutrients like calcium, vitamin A, B, C, D, E, minerals like copper, iron, zinc, magnesium, silica and manganese.It is also sometimes used in herbal medicines.Using fresh coconut in this recipe will give an authentic taste, but I used frozen grated coconut and it tastes good as well. It is also better to use fresh shrimp if available, else one can always use the frozen ones.This goes best with white rice .Hope you will try this recipe and let me know how you like it! Happy cooking!
Shrimp and drumstick in coconut gravy
A delicious mouthwatering curry made with shrimp and drumstick in coconut gravy and is based on Malabar and Kerala cuisine
- Shrimp medium sized 10 -12
- 1/4 packet Frozen coconut or 1 cup of fresh grated coconut
- 1 inch ginger cut coarsely
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 3 green chillies slit
- 8 -10 shallots halved
- Tamarind extract by squeezing a lemon sized ball of tamarind in 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2 shallots finely cut
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- Grind the coconut with one shallot and little water to a very fine paste .
- Take a deed bottomed pan and boil the tamarind extract with the ginger, green chillies, shallots and tomatoes with a little water.
- Add salt and the spices turmeric and chilly powder to it .
- Once the raw taste of the tamarind is gone ,add the shrimp and cook till it is done.
- Add curry leaves and boil for 2 more mins.
- Add the coconut paste and boil for about 5 to 10 mins till a nice yellow color is obtained .
- Turn off heat.
- Heat 2 spoons of oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds.
- After the mustard seeds splutter, add finely cut shallots and fry until reddish brown.
- Add this to the curry .Serve with rice .Enjoy!