Vermicelli pudding or ‘payasam’ is a quick and easy dessert to make and needs very few ingredients. This can be made in a very short time. Vermicelli is semolina and is made of wheat and is obtained in any Indian grocery store .I used a brand called ‘Bambino’ which is really good.Vermicelli can also be used to make noodles with vegetables.
Vermicelli Pudding or Payasam
A delicious dessert made with milk and semolina and loved by kids and everyone
condensed milk is optional , if you use sweetened condensed milk then the sugar can be omitted from the ingredients
- 3/4 cup of vermicelli
- 6 cups of milk
- 1 cup sugar or desired quantity
- 5-6 cardamom powdered
- 10 cashews
- 10 raisins
- 2tsp ghee or clarified butter
- 1 can of condensed milk (optional)
- Heat ghee in a pan and and roast the cashews and raisins until golden brown.Keep this aside.
- Next add vermicelli and roast it for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Bring half a cup of water to boil and add the roasted vermicelli to it .Cook for about 10 mins or until it is half done.
- Once cooked ,add the milk and sugar and bring to boil .Keep boiling until it thickens or until you get the desired consistency.
- You can also substitute the sugar and milk with a can of condensed milk if you like.This will give a rich consistency and taste.I normally use milk and sugar .
- Garnish with cashews and raisins .